Te Whiti Riser
A gentle hill walk or ride to the top. Then your gateway to ridge walks and rides full of harbour and neighbourhood views
Te Whiti Riser is one of the region’s newest and most accessible walks. This wide smooth trail follows a gentle gradient from Te Whiti Park in Waiwhetu to the ECNZ road at the top of the Hayward Eastern Hills. It has become a popular multi-purpose recreational track for walkers, mountain bikers, dog walkers, and family members of all ages.
Starting opposite 197 Riverside Drive the trail has been built for going up to the Eastern Hills, the Wainuiomata Trail Project, East Harbour Regional Park and north to Upper Hutt. The track passes through many different vegetation types, offering extensive views of the Hutt Valley. Look out for the boardwalk on the 4km cruise or hour-long walk to the top.
Its good for beginners with a nice sea view at the end of the trail
Not too far from the start of the Riser, Cupcake Sweeties is where you go to grab a sugar hit.
Before you go
- Toilets, water and a picnic area are available at Te Whiti park. There's also a picnic bench near the summit of the walk.
- Parking is available at Te Whiti Park.
- Pack adequate food, water and clothing for the journey. Don't forget the sunscreen!
- Plan your route before you leave and let someone know where you’re going.
- Get an up-to-date weather report from the Metservice website before setting off.
- This is a popular trail with all recreational users. Walkers must be aware of bikes travelling downhill and around blind corners.
- Dogs must be on a leash at all times.