Upper Hutt

Information on building and resource consents, district plan changes, alcohol licences, signage and more in Upper Hutt

Adding signs

The Upper Hutt District Plan has an in-depth guide on signage for both commercial and residential areas.

The majority of signage rules are considered permitted activities - these don't need resource consent but must still meet any conditions in the District Plan.


See District Plan page 353 for rules on signage

Upper Hutt District Plan

Alcohol licencing

There are strict conditions around alcohol licencing in Upper Hutt City. Find information on the different types of alcohol licences, and how to apply.

Different types of licences:

  • ON - allows consumption of alcohol on premises
  • OFF - allows for alcohol to be purchased on site for consumption off site - i.e a bottlestore etc
  • CLUB - licence for sports clubs, RSA's, and other sorts of clubs

Check off the requirements when you apply for your licence.

Apply for a manager's certificate.

Other useful information and what they cost.

Building and resource consents

Find out where and how to apply for a building or resource consent, and learn whether the changes you want to make need consent.

Check whether you need consent for your project in Upper Hutt City.

What information does the Council need when applying for a building consent?

Find out the Council process when applying for a resource consent.


Do you need a building consent?

Use this handy guide to help you find out.

Remember, it is always best to check with your local council for the current regulations.

Council may by resolution set aside, designate or reserve any road, part of a road or any piece of land owned or controlled
by Council, as operation mobility parking spaces.

Upper Hutt City Council Traffic and Parking Bylaw 2005 4.2(b)(ii)


Bylaws are rules made by local councils which affects the public, orders something to be done, or something not to be done.

Read the list of bylaws at Upper Hutt City Council.

Change of use

The district plan guides what you can use land for and where. The district plan is periodically reviewed through a process known as plan change.

You can make submissions on the district plan review, or you can request a change by getting in touch.


Select district plan from layers

Upper Hutt District Plan Map

Health and safety

Businesses must follow strict health and safety rules as set out by law. Keep up to date with the latest health and safety and see if you need to make changes to comply.

Use Worksafe's quick reference guide to establish your responsibilities when it comes to the Health and Safety at Work Act.