Tools, info and topics to help you develop your business and gain a greater understanding of the visitor markets and the New Zealand tourism industry.
Insights and data
$250 million was spent by visitors in the year to September 2019 to Lower Hutt and $50 million in Upper Hutt. Just over two-thirds of that spend is from kiwis and a third from international visitors.
We can drill down further by looking at:
- Monthly Regional Tourism Estimates have expenditure figures for regions and cities, showing where the spend is from and broad categories of spend back to 2009. Easiest to look at in the MRTE Insights Viewer (choose "TA" instead of "region" to see each city's data).
- The Commercial Accommodation Monitor tells about overnight stays - including guest nights, capacity and occupancy rates with data going back more than 10 years. *Data was published for the last time in November 2019 and MBIE are taking some urgent action towards reinstating an enhanced data gathering exercise from next year.
- We subscribe to AirDNA which gives us monthly overnight stay insights from our 300+ airbnb providers.
- The International Visitor Survey measures the spend, behaviours and types of international visitors to New Zealand.
- We also subscribe to Marketview electronic card retail spending data reports that detailed origin of spend per day in broad areas of each city across many retail categories. We can use this to measure the impact of an event or look at longer term trends.
Marketing and making your business visible
There’s a number of free and low cost ways to make your business get noticed including the basics like Google My Business, a free listing on NewZealand.com and having your messages or products where your target customers are. Get in touch with us as there are numerous ways we can help amplify the work that you're doing. Find out more about HuttValleyNZ’s marketing and support work.
Your business built for customers first
The little things matter, like visitors expectations of being able to book and pay for an experience from their phone in minutes or simply find your opening hours and location easily.
Talk to us about advice on the tried and true in the tourism sector and how you could build an experience .
Taking care of our visitors is number one – so you’ll need to make sure you’ve planned for every eventuality. supportadventure.co.nz is a great go-to website (mainly for adventure based but equally so any other business) for practical tools, templates and examples to help you manage safety. WorkSafe has guides on risk for several industry areas and legal guides like whether or not you’ll need a passenger endorsement to carry paying passengers.
Knowing your customer
DGiT will show you which Kiwi leisure travellers you should target, when they want to visit, their motivation for travel, what else they want to do and their preferred type of accommodation. It’s free and simple to use, to help you boost the value you get from domestic visitors.
Explore insights and info on international markets targeted by Tourism New Zealand and visitor profiles of high-value visitors from New Zealand’s six key market
This comprehensive China Toolkit helps you give the best possible experience to our growing number of Chinese visitors.
Tourism business tips
The Tourism Industry Association have published several practical tips and resources to help tourism operators succeed and thrive, including information on starting a business. We can also help with introductions to those who might be on a similar journey and to wider established industry networks.
Working with cruise
Cruise passengers make up 2% of the Wellington region’s tourism spend and provide opportunities for pre-sold tour product as well as off-the-boat day trippers. Find the schedule of all ship arrivals and departures into Wellington for the coming 2019-2020 season. If you’re keen to explore this highly structured market, get in touch with us to find out more.
- WellingtonNZ destination and trade team
- Hutt Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Hospitality Industry Association
- Tourism New Zealand (industry/corporate website)
- NewZealand.com (visitor website)
- Tourism Industry Aotearoa
As always, if you would like to discuss how we in the HuttValleyNZ team can help improve your tourism related business please contact us.